Welcome to Modern Byrd! Here you'll find all things nifty, neato, creative, and kitchy from Houston and beyond.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Paperdoll Extravaganza

So after many months of creating I am happy to unveil my new mini artistic endeavor!
PAPER DOLLS!!

This little guy was a Christmas gift for my favorite fellow.

The idea came about when I stumbled upon an amazing artist on Etsy.com that uses this medium to create the cutest most whimsical scenes in miniature scale. At that moment I was so captivated....my chest got tight...my eyes got big...it was happening...my first official "Artattack!" I had to try it! So when I had the opportunity to make a paper doll ornament for a guy whose face I could draw in my sleep I jumped on it.

There in my room I began to sketch, and cut, and glue the tiniest of pieces until before my very eyes a little opposable paper person was born. I tried to create a wardrobe that mirrored that of the real person which meant he would have to rock a plaid shirt, a cool pair of jeans, and of course some teeny weeny Toms. And no little man is complete without a few key essentials. In this case it was a favorite book (Be Here Now), a good drink (Topo chico), music (The Strokes: Is This It vinyl), and his wallet (in case the paper doll wanted to go out for a mini paper dinner).


After successfully completing my very first paper doll I couldn't wait to make more and this time I would try something a tad more challenging....a wedding portrait with a paper twist! In the early part of 2009 I was asked to take part in the union of two of my very special friends, both who are amazing artists. As a wedding/anniversary gift I decided they would be perfect candidates for my next creative adventure.

And what an adventure it was! With each detail I completed a new idea emerged and a project that I expected to take a couple of months turned into a 5 month paper manipulating journey. The couple wed in late November under the Austin sky next to the stunning Laguna Gloria Museum of Art and before the wedding the entire bridal party lodged at the fantastic St. Cecilia Hotel. The evening was filled with magic and each detail added to the whimsy. White lanterns graced the ceiling above the dance floor, giant oak trees with twinkling lights towered over us, and as the festivities came to a close the bride and groom were whisked away in a beautiful classic car to begin their lives together. These were all things I tried to capture within a 5x7 shadow box.

I fell in love with those miniature versions of my good friends and frankly did not want to let them go. But the shear joy and enthusiasm in their voices when they called after receiving them just days ago was worth the loss. Happiness is the best word to describe the feeling I have during the process and completion of my paper dolls!

I've already begun my next project for another fantastic couple whose wedding was simply breathtaking. Pictures Coming Soon!