Welcome to Modern Byrd! Here you'll find all things nifty, neato, creative, and kitchy from Houston and beyond.

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The Paper Perspective

I've always been fascinated with the art of transforming paper into intricate objects or creatures. Since I was little, and still to this day, I will take my straw wrappers, twist them around, and go "Look it's a turkey!" This draw to paper works may have been the subconscious reason for my short lived decision to become a Fibers major (which lasted only but a year or so). But as life often does my interest has come full circle and I am again exploring the idea of transforming the 2-D into the 3-D. In the near future I'll be ready to unveil what I've been tinkering with, but until then I'll share with you some great examples of how paper manipulation has made a revival in the art and advertising world. We're taking a detour from digital creations and getting back to what really puts the art in artisan.

Anthropologie loves to use fibers in fun and creative ways in their window displays and recently in their catalog. These images are so quirky and cute. I'll admit they made me a little giddy!




At a recent visit to the Dallas Museum of Art I also came across a piece called Card Shark by a budding young artist named Hannah Kim. She was one amazing artist among many pulled from various high schools in the Dallas area in a collection entitled "Young Masters." And they certainly were! I wish I had this much artistic insight when I was in high school.